Justice for ‘Junior’: where in fact the Lesandro Guzman-Feliz murder instance appears now
Thursday may be the one-year anniversary of Lesandro “Junior” Guzman-Feliz’s death.
The gang-related killing of 15-year-old Lesandro Guzman-Feliz a year ago delivered shock waves through their Bronx community, as relatives and buddies mourned the increasing loss of a “sweet kid” who had imagined to become a authorities detective.
The NYPD arrested 14 suspects, living as much as its vow of making “no stone unturned” in the research to the slaying of Guzman-Feliz, who had been affectionately called “Junior.”
On June 14, the five males accused of fatally stabbing the teenager had been discovered bad of very first- and murder that is second-degree conspiracy and gang attack. Eight other suspects, who’re accused of getting involved in the attack but did stab Guzman-Feliz, n’t are now being tried separately. One suspect pleaded guilty into the full situation and it is cooperating aided by the prosecution.
NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill has credited the arrests to your public’s “unrivaled help” and an “outpouring of nonstop assistance” in case.
A mural of Lesandro “Junior” Guzman-Feliz on East Street that is 184th and Avenue when you look at the Bronx on July 3, 2018. Picture Credit: Marisol Diaz-Gordon
Keep reading to find out more about Guzman-Feliz as well as the aftermath of his death.
The assault on Guzman-Feliz ended up being apparently situation of mistaken identification
On June 20, 2018, surveillance movie captured a few guys dragging Guzman-Feliz away from a bodega on East 183rd Street within the Belmont element of the Bronx and over over and over repeatedly stabbing him into the neck and the body with knives and a machete.
Following the suspects fled, Guzman-Feliz been able to run to nearby St. Barnabas Hospital, where he collapsed during the entrance and passed away. The town examiner’s that is medical stated he passed away of the stab injury to your throat and ruled his death a homicide.
Police believe the killing had been linked to intra-gang violence and that Guzman-Feliz had been mistakenly targeted. The teenager had kept their home to offer some one $5 and encountered the suspects on their in the past house, NYPD officials stated.
The suspects, thinking the teenager ended up being a part of a faction that is rival of gang, chased Guzman-Feliz in to the bodega then dragged him out onto the sidewalk before stabbing and slashing him, based on authorities.
Guzman-Feliz’s death quickly caught the interest of high-ranking NYPD officials, including Chief of Department Terence Monahan, whom called it “among many brutal crimes” he’d ever seen. Detectives vowed to root away everybody included and hold them accountable.
3 days following the slaying, the suspects that are first arrested. Associated with the 14 males that are charged, five have now been convicted of fatally stabbing Guzman-Feliz. One other nine suspects are accused to be active in the lethal criminal activity.
Here you will find the 14 suspects while the costs against them:
- Manuel Rivera, regarding the Bronx: Guilty of very first- and second-degree murder, conspiracy and gang attack.
- Antonio Rodriguez Hernandez Santiago, for the Bronx: Guilty of very first- and second-degree murder, conspiracy and gang attack.
- Elvin Garcia, of Manhattan: Guilty of very very first- and murder that is second-degree conspiracy and gang attack.
- Jonaiki Martinez Estrella, of Freeport: Guilty of first- and murder that is second-degree conspiracy and gang attack.
- Jose Muniz, of this Bronx: Guilty of very very first- and second-degree murder, conspiracy and gang attack.
- Diego Suero, for the Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, gang attack, conspiracy and unlawful control of the tool.
- Frederick Then, of studying, Pennsylvania: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, gang attack, conspiracy and possession that is criminal of tool.
- Ronald Urena, of this Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, gang attack, conspiracy and possession that is criminal of tool.
- Luis A. Cabrera Santos, associated with Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and unlawful control of the gun.
- Danilo Payamps Pacheco, associated with the Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and criminal control of the tool.
- Gabriel Ramirez Concepcion, associated with the Bronx: Charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and unlawful control of the gun.
- Jose Taverez, regarding the Bronx: faced with look here second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and possession that is criminal of gun.
- Danel Fernandez, of this Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and unlawful control of a tool.
- Kevin Alvarez, associated with Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and possession that is criminal of gun. He pleaded responsible and testified against five associated with the defendants that are main of fatally stabbing Guzman-Feliz.
The murder trial
Guilty – that has been the jury’s verdict resistant to the five males whom delivered the blows that are fatal Guzman-Feliz.
The test, which started may 6, found an in depth on 14 after less than two days of jury deliberations june. Jose Muniz, Elvin Garcia, Manuel Rivera, Antonio Rodriguez Hernandez Santiago and Jonaiki Martinez Estrella had been discovered bad of very first- and second-degree murder, conspiracy and gang attack.
The victim’s mother, Leandra Feliz, thanked God for the accountable verdicts. “My son had been a good kid. He had been just 15 years old. He had been doing the very best into the school,” she said at a news seminar outside the Bronx Supreme Court building.
Throughout the very very very first complete day regarding the test, Tamika Jones, 21, testified that she witnessed the assault from her apartment screen and shouted for Guzman-Feliz to operate to your nearby medical center.
“By the full time we got downstairs, he had been currently as you’re watching medical center, collapsed,” Jones said. “He had blood all over their human body. He had been wanting to remain alive, keeping their wound himself. Their final terms had been water — he asked for water.”
Throughout the second week of testimony, Feliz started screaming “no, no, no” and crying hysterically until she ended up being escorted through the courtroom, according to published reports.
The event apparently took place while Alvarez had been cross-examined with a protection lawyer. Feliz told News 12 The Bronx that her blood pressure levels rose whenever surveillance movie of her son had been played that showed Alvarez grabbing at her son following a counter was opened by a bodega worker home near where he had been hiding.
An ambulance had been called towards the courthouse but she had not been taken fully to a medical center, relating to published reports. She had been apparently expected to go out of the courtroom on another occasion for speaking down during test testimony.
Guzman-Feliz’s daddy additionally apparently needed to keep the courtroom throughout a split event, after their son’s blood-soaked clothes ended up being presented as proof.
“I saw my son’s t-shirt that is bloody we never desire to notice it once more,” Lisandro Guzman told reporters outside of the courthouse.
Suspected people in the Trinitarios gang
The suspects are purported people of the Los Sures collection of the Trinitarios road gang, based on the NYPD.
The group gathered at Suero’s Boston Road home and planned to attack another set of Trinitarios, called Sunset, police said on the night of Guzman-Feliz’s death. Suero may be the leader that is suspected of Sures, relating to Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark.
The suspects piled into four vehicles and drove to your territory for the competing gang, come upon Guzman-Feliz and chased him in to the bodega, Clark stated.
The suspects went back to Suero’s home to hide their weapons and help Garcia, whose hand was cut during the attack, according to Clark after the stabbing.
The region lawyer also dispelled past posted reports that stated Guzman-Feliz was erroneously targeted due to a intercourse tape with a lady related to one of many suspects.
“As far even as we understand, at the moment, there was clearly no regards to any intercourse tape to the case that is particular” Clark stated. “That had been stated on social media but which has perhaps maybe maybe not been the details that people have actually within our instance.”
Shea has said the Trinitarios were proven to the division before Guzman-Feliz’s death. Ever since then, police have actually arrested at the very least 79 purported Trinitarios members over the town, mostly on felony costs, relating to Shea.
“This was one significant situation involving Trinitarios, but we’re planning to continue steadily to target perhaps not just the Trinitarios but any road gang that is taking part in physical violence in new york,” Shea included.
The NYPD connection
An organization that aims to teach teens and young adults the importance of respect, self-discipline and furthering their education through training and community service projects before his death, Guzman-Feliz had aspired to become a police detective and was a member of the NYPD’s Explorers program.
The NYPD while the Police Foundation have actually setup a scholarship honoring Guzman-Feliz. The Lesandro Guzman-Feliz Memorial university Fund will give you two $5,000 scholarships each to members of the Explorers program to be used toward tuition and school supplies upon enrollment in an accredited college year.